Practical Lab Questions

From: Dylan Golden (dylngldn@lycos.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 12:47:48 PST

From: "Dylan Golden" <dylngldn@lycos.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:47:48 -0800
Subject: Practical Lab Questions

1) In an acid/base soap making lab most recipes call for the addition of very highly concentrated NaOH solution to vegetable shortening. Has anyone obtained a good soap product using less concentrated NaOH (say 1M) and then adding more of the solution to the fat? The solution takes longer to come to a boil and the water can be poured off although our reduced concentration product was a little mushy. The recipe also calls for the addition of salt water. Any explanation? Sodium is needed in the saponification reaction but in comes from NaOH and the refrigerated product is not at risk of freezing.

2) In making electromagnets and mini light bulb circuits we generally use 1-2 1.5V D cell batteries. How do 9V batteries and 1.5V AA batteries compare in terms of efficacy and longevity? The AA batteries are much cheaper than the D batteries. The 1.5V batteries are nice because they can be stacked.