RE: pinhole Practical Lab Questions

From: Coral Clark (coralc@raft.net)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 13:54:31 PST

From: "Coral Clark" <coralc@raft.net>
Subject: RE: pinhole Practical Lab Questions
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:54:31 -0800

Interesting soap questions. I have made soap quite a few times, both at home
and in a classroom setting, and the product is always slightly mushy (soft)
before it cures for at least a couple weeks. I have always had the best
luck with lard and coconut oil, personally. Of the many "crafters" recipes
that I have found, none call for salt; and all of the "chemistry lab"
recipes that I found call for it. It might have something to do with the
use of shortening as the fat of choice, but I am unsure. Crafter's books
tend to not recommend pure veggie shortening. Rendering animal fat
traditionally calls for boiling meat/fat scraps in salt water, which helps
it solidify. Another possibility might be the higher boing point for salt
water. I have generally done cold-process soaps, which do not require
boiling, but only warming to about 120 degrees F. At no point have I ever
used a fridge in the curing process. There are a few cold-process recipes
on the link below that are small batch, which are difficult to find as
commonly found recipes call for a 12 oz. can of lye and about 5 lbs. of fat.
yuck. As there are so many methods and variables, comparisons and/or inquiry
lessons seem like good possibilities. Note: I have never had great success
with the "blender method", if you run across that anywhere.

http://www.homeschoolzone.com/pp/crafts/soap.htm

The following site has a link to a lye calculator.
http://www.soapcrafters.com/recipes_scratch.htm

happy soaping,

Coral