lab questions - soap

From: deb@meer.net
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 09:05:39 PST

Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:05:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: lab questions - soap
From: deb@meer.net

> 1) In an acid/base soap making lab most recipes call for the addition of
> very highly concentrated NaOH solution to vegetable shortening.

Apologies if anyone finds this distasteful. I just finished the book
"Stiff" and found it a really interesting read. There's a chapter about
proposed alternatives to current burial/cremation options. One is called
a "mortuary tissue digestor" that uses NaOH to dissolve cadavers - a human
version of those already in use to process dead animals.

http://www.wr2.net/products/mortuary.htm