Re: pinhole Recycling and Wind Tunnels

From: Rilla Chaney (rillac@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 14:02:35 PST

From: Rilla Chaney <rillac@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Recycling and Wind Tunnels
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:02:35 -0800

I have had a student produce a good wind tunnel with the PVC pipe and
clear plastic window. It worked well enough to lift a balsa wood
airplane wing.

  I usually had kids who carved soap cars of different shapes and
attached thin 6-8 inch long ribbons to them at strategic locations.
With a strong fan it is pretty easy to see laminar and turbulent flow
in the ribbon trails. The students can also photograph their different
models in action, make modifications and compare with the earlier
version.

Rilla