electron accelerator example

From: Algis Sodonis (asodonis@urbanschool.org)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 19:54:01 PST

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:54:01 -0800
Subject: electron accelerator example
From: "Algis Sodonis" <asodonis@urbanschool.org>

Hi pinholers.

I'm always a bit frustrated that most AP physics textbooks spend a lot of time developing the concept of charges accelerated in electric fields (in a vacuum) which can be very abstract for a student.

When I was reading over a Project Physics textbook from 1970, it refers to an experiment that students did: "you can make such an electron gun yourself in the laboratory experiment Electron Beam Tube." Has anyone done this from years past? Are there any simple ways to do this?

I figure one needs a high voltage power supply which I have. I'm really looking more for an example than an experiment for students to do themselves.

Thanks,

Algis Sodonis
The Urban School of SF