Re: pinhole electron accelerator example

From: Marc Kossover (zeke_kossover@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 09:02:45 PST

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:02:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Kossover <zeke_kossover@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole electron accelerator example

--- Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I tried using geiger counters to detect any
> radiation that might be present coming from my
> color tv.

Most telvisions have leaded glass and other ways to
attenuate the soft x-rays from the cathode ray tubes.

Nonetheless, in some parts of the country, you can get
a pretty good count from the dust on the tube. It
seems that that the decay particles from radon tend to
collect there. See
<http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q157.html> and
<http://www.blackcatsystems.com/science/radiation.html>.
When I was in Dallas, we could get a pretty good count
off our televisions. On the other hand, I am not sure
that San Francisco has that much radiactive uranium in
the ground to make radon. I tried to look at the USGS
website but I wasn't able to get anything useful.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay