high or low density liquid

From: Damon Jansen (dkjansen@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 15:19:59 PDT

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Damon Jansen <dkjansen@yahoo.com>
Subject: high or low density liquid

I am working with a group putting together a lab for
teachers with a number of different experiences with
density. I would like them to be able to use spring
scales to measure the weight of an object in different
liquids to be able to see that the buoyant force is
different for different liquids. In order to see the
effect with ordinary spring scales, I'm looking for a
liquid with a rather large or rather small density,
compared to water. So far, using salt water (about 1.2
g/mL) is noticeable with care, but a larger difference
would be preferable.
This will be a portable workshop, so the more
transportable and less toxic the material, the better.

thanks,
damon jansen