Re: pinhole transition metal ions electron configuration

From: Ellen Koivisto (igneous@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 18:37:45 PDT

From: Ellen Koivisto <igneous@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: pinhole transition metal ions electron configuration
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:37:45 -0700

Hi Geoff,

The s that's lost is a valence electron -- it has lower energy than
the d, true, but it's on the outside of the atom so it's easier to
lose (in the same way that it's easier to lose some of your skin than
your spleen.) Also, to continue with the anthropomorphic and non-
quantum models I use with my students, elements are more stable (i.e.
happier) when a big orbital is half full or completely full. That's
why when you get into the 4th d electron column and the 9th d
electron column on the periodic table, you'll see weird
configurations where the d's have stolen an electron from the outer s
in order to get a half or completely full d.

Does that make any sense?

Ellen Koivisto
SOTA, SF