Re: ???????

Tim Ostrom (576587@ousd.k12.ca.us)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 19:21:22 -0700

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 19:21:22 -0700
From: Tim Ostrom <576587@ousd.k12.ca.us>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: ???????

Pinhole Listserv wrote:

> Hi Aloha,
> Hexane is a volatile hydrocarbon that is not toxic, but is easilty
> ignited.
> Hexane can be obtined from most chemical suppliers (Fisher, Flinn,
> etc.). How
> about trying white gasoline? It is mostly hexanes anyway and can be
> obtained
> from sporting goods stores as Coleman Fuel or from some service
> stations as
> white gas. Use in a fume hood or outside.
> Cheap, cheap, cheap.
> Neil
> Fetter

Aloha again < :

Thanks Neil for the info.

Different types of Alcohols mixed with different types of Acids can make
some pleasant smelling Esters. Does anyone have an idea on where I can
get these items...and again cheaper is better $$$

If anyone knows of any safe and fun food science and/or organic
chemistry experiments like the ones above or know of any good references
I would appreciate it. Again safety, cost and availability are
definitely an issue < :

Thanks

Tim Ostrom
Bret Harte----OUSD