Re: ???????

NFetter@aol.com
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 19:04:16 -0400 (EDT)

From: NFetter@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 19:04:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: ???????

Hi Tim,
Acetic acid occurs in vinegar at about 5% by volume. Rubbing alcohol is 70%
isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. If you want sacrifice booze, it runs ariund
50% ethyl alcohol. Methyl alcohol (wood alcohol) can be obtained from a large
building supplier. If you want these acids and alcohols in pure form, you
will have to pay through the nose from a chemical supplier. Also remember,
that to get the best results, you need to add sulfuric acid as a catalyst.
Otherwise the reactions take forever.
I have a laboratory for making peanut brittle. If you want it, let me know.

Neil
Fetter