Re: Laundry balls

Gene Thompson (gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us)
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 18:20:10 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 18:20:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gene Thompson <gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us>
To: emuller@exploratorium.edu, pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Laundry balls

Recently read an explanation of why various environmental mail order
catalogs have dropped these laundry balls from their merchandise.
Experiments have been done on these things and they are inert -- nothing's
going on. However, people use way too much detergent when they do their
laundry, and so the clothes have detergent residue in them, which
dissolves into the water and cleans the wash. So the devices "work" for
awhile. I don't remember the catalog for sure. Think it was 7th
Generation.

Ellen Koivisto
gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us