Re: E=mc^2

mafifi@redshift.com
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 21:27:45 -0700

From: mafifi@redshift.com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 21:27:45 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: E=mc^2

At 2:43 PM 8/6/97, Pinhole Listserv wrote:
>Ellen
>and pinholers.
>
>Yes energy does exert gravitational effects just as mass does.
>Energy warps space in its vicinity just as mass does.
>
>Paul Doherty

Paul,

I've heard some say that mass is really just energy all tangled up on
itself, sort of like a rope tied into a not.

I like to look at spacetime as a continuum in which mass and energy travel,
much like water is a continuum in which boats and the like travel. In
water, when something is there other than water, the water is deformed. In
spacetime, when something is there other than spacetime (e.g. mass or
energy), the spacetime is deformed.

Is this an accurate perception or am I trying to catch butterflies with a
butter knife again?

-Marc