Re: Laundry balls

Gene Thompson (gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 08:55:31 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 08:55:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gene Thompson <gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us>
To: emuller@exploratorium.edu, pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Laundry balls

Found more info in another catalog (Real Goods, Fall 97). On pg. 41
they're selling an "improved" version. Let me quote:

"Our original Laundry Discs gave you an economical, hypo-allergenic, and
environmentally sound alternative to chemical detergents. Our new Turbo
Plus single disc is even better, with improved ionization technology,
laboratory-proven anti-bacterial ability, and a more efficient design.
Activated ceramics working in unison with tourmaline -- 'the electric
gemstone' -- and dual magnets significantly increase the ionization
process that transforms plain water into an effective organic cleanser.
Why use toxic detergents to clean your clothes, when you can use the Turbo
Plus' concentrated copper microfiber mesh to zap germs and reduce color
fading. And the 'bobbing float' design maxmizes the disc's water contact,
so you can use just one disc instead of three. For whites and tough
stains add a tiny amount of brand new ultra-concentrated Papaya Enzyme
Brightener . . . . Still good for up to 2 years (500 loads) . . ."

There's also a cut-away picture of the device, with no labeling so I
can't be sure what's what. But this ad makes so many varied science
claims that it's almost irresistable.

Ellen Koivisto
George Washington High School, SF
gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us