Re: Earth science textbooks

Dan Gray (dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net)
Thu, 07 Aug 1997 00:23:47 -0700

Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 00:23:47 -0700
From: Dan Gray <dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Earth science textbooks

I've also been using Earth Science by Heath for the last two years.
Overall I've been pleased with it. The material is presented at a level
that is appropriate for my 9th graders without diluting the science.
One complaint I do have with it is the rather disjointed way some of the
material is presented. For example: the different rock types are
covered in an early unit, but the processes that produce them are
covered separately later in the text. Another example is the way plate
tectonics (which is the single most important principal in geology) is
covered in bits and pieces throughout the book rather than being
presented up front in its entirety.