Re: Matter at absolute zero

FoodPhD@aol.com
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 00:27:00 -0400 (EDT)

From: FoodPhD@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 00:27:00 -0400 (EDT)
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Matter at absolute zero

Karen,

Some work was done on low temperature condensates in Colorado. These were
originally predicted by Einstein. His equations were refined by a
mathematician named Bose. The predicted Bose-Einstein condensates were
achieved with rhubidium atoms at a temperature of 17 billionths Kelvin, a new
record for lowest temperature ever achieved. If you do an Internet search on
Bose-Einstein condensate, there are numerous sites listed, including some by
the scientists who published the work. There's also a good summary in a
press release from the University of Colorado.

By the way, I've been trying to find out what happens to the matter when it
warms back up. If you find out something about that, please let me know.
Thanks.

Rob Kravets
Benicia HS
Food PhD@aol.com