Chemistry movies

Coral Clark (coralz@exploratorium.edu)
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:29:21 -0800 (PST)

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:29:21 -0800 (PST)
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: coralz@exploratorium.edu (Coral Clark (Zanin))
Subject: Chemistry movies

A couple ideas I have for movies which show science/chemistry concepts include:

Real Genius (with Val Kilmer) - a story of kids going to a hard science
college. This is really based on student life at Caltech in Pasadena. The
main story involves lasers, but there are a also a couple scenes involving
freezing (the hallway, etc.). It's a fun flick.

Apollo 13 - I'm thinking of the scenes with the CO^2 scrubbers and the
Oxygen situation. This might be useful to relate to air filtration systems
in offices, etc.

Fat Man and Little Boy - is a good movie about the Manhatten Project and
nuclear chemistry stuff that really isn't too depressing.

Medicine Man - might be a bit too biochem oriented, but it's good in terms
of real-life chemical research, applications, and testing.
Coral Clark (Zanin)
Teacher in Residence
coralz@exploratorium.edu
tel:(415) 353-0499