Re: Re: More about foam....

CGDonahoe3@aol.com
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 00:53:30 EST

From: CGDonahoe3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 00:53:30 EST
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Re: More about foam....

Refraction:: is one aspect to consider as to which way the waters flow.

Go to Pt Bonita, Mrin headlands and stand across form the entrance form the
lighthouse, yeah, not the heavyouse, and watch the wind driven wave
patterns. As the wave enters the bay it is grabbed by the most jutting point
of land and dragged to the left, n the north side, and south on the south
side.

It's is the the resistance of solid on liquid, rocky outcrop on incoming ocean
waters that refract/deflect the waves , eventually, in 180 degrees opposite
direction. That's on an incoming tide.

So, check it out on an out going tide with silt laden waters, basically fresh,
running into ocean waters, saline density; compute this into the current
pattern for the surfers that shred the waves.

If the coastal surrents are in one direction and the bay in/outlet systems
oppose the coastal currents, would one not expect exacerbated turbelence and
gyres, twisting, and turbulence between the mixing waters..... and then the
foam, mixed in with all the other human contributions from , oil, non point
pllution, sewers, etc...??

Is is not thetrue beauty of California that there is no film in which some
terrific event causes us to sya, "We are no longer in Kansas!" SF is
not/never simple. It is a complex, complex interaction and juxtaposition of
natural forces....... We are her because it is so unique. It Kanxa, I
suppose, the highest adventure is chasing tornadoes.

In SF it getting our children to undestand the multide od forces which created
this unique ndwonderous peninsula.. Hey, go two miles and enter into a new
scientific field and discipline.

There is more to sea foam than sea foam.

Challenge: take an oceanographer, a physicist and a poet to Ocean Beach.
Have them record their independent observations. Best winner of at least 20
entries earns one hundred dollars to promote student writing about their
experiences in nature.

There must be at least twenty different school entries. Entries will be
judged on a rubric of 1-6 by my students (seventh grade Science).
Monies must be spent on a publication which reflects all particpants in that
school's educational program.

Too often my foot is where my money should be. Take to the beach and have
them write. Rmember: an oceanographer ( a budding oceanographer), a
physicist ( a budding physicist) and a student. At least one of the three
must be an adult.

Due date: May 1st, 1998. Address: Rooftop, 500 Corbett, SF, CA 94114

Response Date: June 1st, 1998.