Re: Air pressure

Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 14:59:15 -0800

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 14:59:15 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
Subject: Re: Air pressure

In the movie 2001 a space odyssey an astronaut goes into the vacuum of
space for a few seconds and nothing happeno his face.

In light of the conflicting movie ideas about what happens to people in a
vacuum I asked the man in charge of space suit preparation at NASA Houston.

He said he volunteered for a test in which the back of his hand was exposed
to a vacuum. For the first 15 seconds or so little happened, then the skin
began to puff away from his hand. What was happening was that the water in
his intercellular spaces was beginning to boil, creating gas and causing
the skin to inflate like a balloon. This happened slowly.

Paul D