Re: Escape velocity, expanding universe and such

NFetter (NFetter@aol.com)
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 22:29:02 EST

From: NFetter <NFetter@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 22:29:02 EST
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Escape velocity, expanding universe and such

Hi emile,
As far as I know, Newton's Rule of gravitation still applies and has no
exceptions. Alas, the universe contains more the two objects, so there are
many objects attracting each other. For example, if you want to go to the
Moon, you must achieve a speed of about 24,000 mph to get away from the
Earth's pull so that the Moon's pull can allow you to achieve an orbit around
the Moon and eventually send a lander to the surface. Remember that we are in
free fall around the sun and our Moon is in free fall around the Earth. Even
though the Moon is attracted by our mutual gravitational interaction, we will
not collide.

Neil Fetter