Escape velocity, expanding universe and such

EMILEBRU (EMILEBRU@aol.com)
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 00:52:30 EST

From: EMILEBRU <EMILEBRU@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 00:52:30 EST
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Escape velocity, expanding universe and such

I'm still a bit confused about this whole escape velocity thing - if the force
of gravity always acts upon any two objects at any distance, how can we say
that they can be going fast enough away from each other to never be pulled
back together? If only one force is acting on two object, those objects will
accelerate because of that force, however small, right? For example, how can
one theory to the Big Bang predict a forever expanding universe? On that
note, I heard a rumor that some folks are saying that gravity does break down
over very great distances, but this still seems like a bit of a cop out/fudge
factor. Any help would be dandy.

thanks,
emile