re: Black Light Experiments

Eric Muller (emuller@exploratorium.edu)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:08:23 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:08:23 -0700 (PDT)
To: pinhole
From: Eric Muller <emuller@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: re: Black Light Experiments

From: "four words..." <neit@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:(blacklights)

> Subject: Black Light Experiments
> From: Caleb Cheung <caleb@ousdmail.ousd.k12.ca.us>
> Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 09:21:13 -0700

> .... I have yet to find anything other than the obvious:
> (1) Shining it on different colors and looking at the changes in appearance.
> (2) Shining it on certain types of rocks.
> (3) Putting it over my scorpion and watching it phosphorese.
>
> Has anyone come across any great ideas in their teaching experience?
>
> Caleb Cheung

Hi Caleb,

You can use the light with UV-detecting beads (one bag of ~280 assorted
colors roughly $8.00 from Educational Innovations, Inc. phone no.
203-629-6049 in Conn. catalog number EDI#-ast) in the classroom to check
for materials that block UV radiation or claim to (ie. UV blocking
sunglasses, UV-blocking shirts...no lie, i saw some shirts at A16
camping store!!!), maybe do inverse square law experiments...
During halloween, i remember Chris Holle,a great teacher down in LA
mixed some lotion with some flourescing powder and rubbed it all over
his face. With the normal room lights, his face looked fine...but once
the lights went out...yeooowwwwww!!!!!!
And finally, when i worked at a hospital... I remember one activity for
safety involved the use of the blacklight to check and see how much
flourescing powder remained on our hands after we had tried to handle
some "material" carefully... it was interesting to see where the
"contaminated" hands had been... (as the saying goes, ya never know
where they've been?!) ;o) Might be good for health or biology class
(spread of communicable diseases...)
Just a few things at this late hour...

blue skies,

neit

ps. i sent one copy to you directly, just in case Pinhole didn't get
this...

tien huynhh-dinh
Accelerated School
Los Angeles, Calif