black lights

Coral Clark (coralc@exploratorium.edu)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:26:36 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:26:36 -0700 (PDT)
To: pinhole
From: coralc@exploratorium.edu (Coral Clark)
Subject: black lights

Black Lights!!

I've used black lights often in my class when discussing the
electromagnetic spectrum and UV light. Students love them, so it perks
their interest. You can get a large variety of "glow-in-dark" items and
relatively inexpensive black lights at a mall store called "Spencer Gifts".
I also have students compare crayons, such as fluorescent vs. regular;
look at their teeth; check out laundry detergents, like Tide (which contain
phosphors to help them make clothes look brighter). They also make UV
sensitive beads and paints that companies have made into t-shirts;
students have fun trying to figure these out as well.

For a real-life connection, students could do experiments with sunscreen
and/or research and discuss the ozone layer.

Teacher in Residence
coralc@exploratorium.edu
tel:(415) 353-0499
fax:(415) 561-0307