Help?

Marc Afifi (marc_afifi@yahoo.com)
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:35:22 -0800

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:35:22 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: marc_afifi@yahoo.com (Marc Afifi)
Subject: Help?

Hi,

In a recent test for my AP chemistry class was the following question:

Which conditions of P, T, and n, respectively, are most ideal?

a. high P, high T, high n
b. low P, low T, low n
c. high P, low T, high n
d. low P, high T, high n
e. low P, high T, low n

The correct answer is (d), but I selected (e) because I understood that to
approximate ideal conditions the particles should be moving at high speeds
and have great distances between them thus reducing molecular interactions.
Wouldn't the low n in selection (e) correlate to greater intermolecular
distances than a high n thus more closely approximating an ideal gas? Is
the publisher wrong? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide
in the matter.

-Marc

--
Marc Afifi
Physics and Chemistry

(408) 646-6590 ext. 223

Favorite Oakland Raiders Motto: "Just When Baby?"