Re: Solar Year?

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 11:24:38 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:24:38 EST
Subject: Re: Solar Year?

What is a solar year?

The earth does NOT go around the sun in 365 days! It goes around the sun in
365.251489 days (OK, I made up the trailing digits after .25 :-) ). So a
solar year is the exact time it takes the earth to go 360.00.00 degrees
around the star sol. Since it is just a little bit longer than a calendar
year we have to "adjust" it every four years with a "leap year" having one
more day (4 years times .25 day = 1 day). We then may keep the winter and
summer solstices on the same day as well as the equinoxs.

Hope this explains well enough,

Al Sefl
Pinhole List Elf