Re:Contour mapping

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 09:36:30 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:36:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re:Contour mapping

I have a partial "Landforms" FOSS kit in my basement (I've tried to get it to leave after it followed me home, but it refuses to go and I'm afraid the kit bites). I could easily send a set of foam, topo cutouts used to show contour mapping (just send me your friends address). It comes with and matches some simple "Mt Shasta" topo maps. They are indexed with a sharp "canyon" to make alignment and orientation of the foam cutouts more obvious for elementary school kids and your friend might want to make it more difficult by blurring these index marks for older students (or by blindfolding the students).

Foam pieces aren't the only way to do this, the variations are endless and the cardboard and straw versions cost nothing. There are some pretty neat ideas in binders on this subject in the Exploratorium Learning Studio, put together by new teachers (some of whom are becoming old teachers quite rapidly). Although I know it bothers the Teacher Institute Staff to no end for me to say this, the FOSS Landforms kit is pretty good.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh