Re: Showing a computer on a TV

From: Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 01:26:44 PDT

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 01:26:44 -0700
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: Re: Showing a computer on a TV

Gary made an interesting remark in his initial past in which he said:

>Surprisingly, I've had the hardest time locating a product to connect
>my eMac to my TV. Apple was absolutely no help and the product I did
>buy (for $100.00), didn't work because the computer "refresh" rate and
>the TV refresh rate were different.

According to Apple on it's developer's webpage, all you need is the
appropriate adapter for your emac.

Take a look at:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs
-G4/eMac/3Input-Output/chapter_4_section_12.html

Where it says: "The eMac computer has a video output port for connecting an
external video monitor or projector. The port supports both VGA and TV
signals by means of adapters. The port detects the type of adapter
connected to it and programs the graphics IC to provide the appropriate
type of video signals, as shown in the table below."

The "table below" indicated that the video output of the emac would support
VGA, Composite (RCA) TV signals and S-video TV signals

Notice in the announcement that you need one of Apple's connectors since
that is used to determine the output of the graphics card.

I assume your emac came with AirPort Extreme (didn't they all come that
way? http://www.apple.com/emac/specs.html). The Video adapter is listed at
$19 and you can see what it looks like at:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M91
09G/A

I'm surprised that the someone at Apple wasn't able to help you with this one.

Even users of IBM clones have ways of hooking up to TV's (although they
would probably need to get a graphics card with S-video output - unlike
you).

I hope this inexpensive solution solves your problem (all it required was a
search on Google using "emac video adapter" as the search items).

Lots of luck.

ron